There is something so timeless and elegant about a black dress. I fell in love when I saw the gorgeous 1950s black and white photo below. I knew I wanted to try to find some way to, affordably, re-create the look of the model sporting a Christian Dior dress. Using the general shapes of the inspiration, and a balance of new and old pieces, I put together this ’50s Glam Inspired Ensemble.
“Effortless elegance” was my first thought when I laid my eyes on this photo. The dress is beautiful on the model, but doesn’t upstage her.
Where my eye was drawn:
- Bardot off-shoulder design
- Flower Detail
- Fit & Flare Dress
Tip: Use accessories to achieve a similar feel.
If you can’t match the garment in the inspiration photo exactly look at how you can add to what you already have with similarly shaped accessories.
Using the elements to put this ’50s Glam Inspired Ensemble together:
- Fit & flare dress: I started this look with my black fit and flare dress from Grace Karin.
- Bow: I pulled my hair into a high ponytail and added my black bow scrunchie.
- Bardot off-shoulder design: Since my black dress is sleeveless I put on a faux fur to match the bardot shape of the dress in the inspiration photo.
- Flower detail: My faux fur came with a sparkly little brooch which was the perfect way to compliment the flower detail of the inspiration photo.
- Gloves: To keep the look more wearable for modern day I omitted the black gloves.
- Pumps: For footwear I wore one of my closet staples, my black pumps from Abella.
Photos by Allie Provost; pretaprovost.com